List:       koffice
Subject:    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Building_KOffice_for_RULE?=
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Marco_Fioretti?=" <m.fioretti () inwind ! it>
Date:       2003-02-28 8:37:28

Greetings

As some of you may know, I am the current coordinator of the RULE project
 (http://www.rule-project.org/en/ ).

One of the things we aim to do is to find, package as RPM if needed,
and list to our users the most efficient applications (in terms of CPU
speed, RAM needs, etc..) in every area.

Recently, I have heard several people saying that KDE 3.1 is much
faster than previous releases, and have partially seen it myself. For
this reason, and also because I'm personally curious to know a bit
more about KDE, I'd like to try to make RPM packages for Red Hat 8.0
of the following KDE 3.1 components and *NOTHING* else:

 Qt
 Konqueror
 Kmail
 KOffice
(maybe) Quanta

These applications should be packaged to give the maximum possible
performance sacrificing appearance to real functionality. In other
 words,

I want to keep:

>        support via xft2/fontconfig for Asian languages
>        HTML 4.x, https, JavaScript, IMAP, SMTP/POP3, GPG...
>        image thumbnails in Konqueror when used as a file manager
>        no other applications packaged/placed on the system

 I want to remove

>        eye candy: I don't care if the result is not themeable, 16
>        colors icons are OK, if visual effects are removed, if there is
>        no sound when windows are opened, all this kind of things
>
>        things like man:// urls, which can be done almost with the same
>        functionality and output from the command line
>
>        everything else?? (maybe some configuration option?)

and then, I want to see what the result looks like, and if and how
much it is smaller/faster than the default version. I also need to
 rebuild all that stuff, starting from Qt, in some local directory, so
it cannot mess up the default KDE/Red Hat installation, and I can
compare the two versions on the same machine.

Now the real questions: I plan to download the source RPMs from
kde-redhat.sourceforge.net, because they have been already used on RH
8.0, so a lot of work has been
s far as KOffice is concerned, how should I modify the MakeFile and/or the RPM
spec files? Ideas, anybody?
Let me repeat that right now this is just a pet project, an excuse to start
knowing KDE
structure. Point out firmly but kindly, please, any idiocy I might have
said/assumed here.

 Thank you in advance for any feedback, and for your patience

         Marco Fioretti