List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: running without installing ?
From:       Sean McGlynn <sean () tmiau ! com>
Date:       2003-02-26 6:28:20

On Wednesday 26 February 2003 05:36, Ferdinand Gassauer wrote:
> David Faure wrote:
> > On Tuesday 25 February 2003 17:44, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> >> Is there any way to run kspread from CVS without installing it first ?

When I read this first, I presumed Vladimir meant after downloading from cvs
and running 'make', could he run kspread before a 'make install'. Doesn't a
proxy 'kspread' shell script get created in the koffice/kspread directory,
allowing you to call the real kspread binary in .libs, or is that script not
clever enough wrt the still uninstalled .desktop files etc.?

> > No.
> > (but you can install it into a custom prefix if you want)
>
>  it depends ..
>
> either use VNC or a remote X connection to a box where kspread is
> installed.
>
> writing this I wonder if this idea could/should be impemented for corporate
> users because it would IMHO reduce the maintanance costs and TCO.
> (BTW that's what I do in the office where I still need a NT workstation, I
> run KDE in a VNC window)

They could also perhaps try running the custom Knoppix (sp?) CD's being
talked about on kde-promo. These sound like the ideal way to get people to
try Linux/KDE without any installation. Safe and simple!

Cheers,
Sean
--
Sean McGlynn