List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: kspread slowness with a lot of data
From:       Norbert Andres <nandres () web ! de>
Date:       2003-02-22 18:15:42

On Saturday 22 February 2003 18:28, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
> Also I have tried your Ctrl-Shift-Arrow operations. With down arrow it
> works great ! (fast and easy) Thanks !
>
> But with up arrow I see the exact same delay. (I am putting the cursor in
> cell G12645 and pressing Ctrl-Shift-Up Arrow).
I also see another bug here: put something into A1, something else in A2 and
then add a series starting A3 to fill the cells up to A2000.
If I press Ctrl-Up at A2000 I end up in A2 not in A1. Hmm. And everything gets
a little bit slow after jumping down to A32000. Moving the cursor is a pain
here. The repainting doesn't work very nice.

> As for memory this is not a big problem. With 7 columns filled with 12645
> cells kspread SIZE (as reported with top) is 427Megs. This system has 1G
> of RAM so no swap issues. Also 300 bytes * 12000 = 36megs - quite
> acceptable.
It's not just about memory. It is also about speed, because if cells have the
same layout there are less objects that get created (and in the beginning all
cells look the same, so e.g. inserting a series in thousands of cells will be
much faster). I have started on this, but it will take some time...

> Could it be that the delay is caused by kspread saving all data for Undo,
> even though I am only inserting a chart in a different sheet?
I don't think so.

> (No, I don't think it would be a good idea for me to take over a part..
> but I would really like to trace down this slowness. Also I'll take a
> look at the cell size issue, perhaps there is an easy way to fix this).
Great! If you want you could also look into the reason for the slowness I
mentioned above.

There are also many other things that can be done easily:
e.g.
- improve Excel filter (fix colors,...)
- importing charts from OpenCalc documents
- make the results of formulas fit the cell width (decrease precision if
necessary)
- add more functions(e.g. matrix manipulation)
- add analysis tools (see Gnumeric)
- you could investigate how to add functions as plugins (so that we can move
all the functions to plugins which will reduce compile/link time for the main
library and so speed up development :-) I could give you some hints for that)
- zoom: zoom to page width/page height/page
- help me with the recording of changes and/or document merging
- plugin for diff to other KSpread documents...
- z-order for inserted objects (add two charts and let them overlap each other
-> you see what I mean. If this is done we can add support for inserting
pictures)
- improve AutoFormat and add new formats...
- integrate and test the new number format parser
- ... <put anything you like here>

If you need help just write a mail. I would be happy to help and do everything
to get you started :-)

Kind regards
Norbert