List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Experiences with KWord 1.2.1 (KDE3.1)
From:       Dirk_Schönberger <dirk.schoenberger () sz-online ! de>
Date:       2003-02-22 10:49:25

> I would like that KWord and KPresenter would get more common components,
> instead of having mostly two very different codes for similar tasks. Some
> (DTP-) power users having asked to add KPresenter features to KWord (for
> example picture backgroup or effects), so these similarities in code are
not
> going to decrease.

> I am not telling that this job is to be finished for KOffice 1.3. But I am
> seeing that we have not anymore a hard working Laurent Montel who worked
on
> KPresenter everyday. In the past, when something like that happened to a
> filter (and to Kontour), it went dead. I would want to try to avoid this
for
> KPresenter.

I like the idea of shared KoDrawingObjects. I would really like to see being
able to create Karbon/SVG style paths in KWord/KPresenter, or creating KWord
style rich text (multiple fonts, bold text, italic text a.s.o) in Karbon,
hopefully using a Karbon paths as container, i.e. non-rectangular shapes.

A problem I see is that Karbon uses another imaging model, which is more
closely related to Postscript or PDF, than the QPainter based model used in
the rest of KOffice. I tried to create a rendering API which has the power
of a SVG/Postscript/Karbon based model, while keeping QPainter
compatibility. You can find it in kdenonbeta/kpainter. Currently I am
missing a text output API, and there is missing a QCanvas like API for a
"scene graph" of 2D elements.

Regards
Dirk