List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Experiences with KWord 1.2.1 (KDE3.1)
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2003-02-21 19:51:02

On Friday 21 Feb 2003 7:12 pm, David Faure wrote:
> Layering is already implemented, in the sense that frames have a "Z order".

I know. That's why I suggested the idea :-)

> > Although it is still a little sucky in that the user has to take care of
> > positioning the graphical elements manually, s/he can do that without
> > interfering with the text.
>
> Hmm, some inlining should be possible though - people want to associate
> drawings with text...

In principle, I agree, but in practice, I disagree because noone has presented
a viable suggestion for a harmonious, easy-to-use UI for such a thing. I
actually think that MS is doing a good job of the drawing, its just that
subsequent changes to those drawings are as hard as it gets.

BTW: I can accept that the equivalent of HTML's <HR/> is needed within KWord
proper (which I think you said was present anyway).

> > So, anyone fancy a hack to allow a (floating?) KWord frame to have a
> > transparent background?
>
> Transparent frames are already supported BTW.

Hmm. Cannot see the UI for this. But then again, I am stuck on KDE 3.1/KOffice
1.2. Can someone try this, and see how it looks?

Thanks, Shaheed