List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Experiences with KWord 1.2.1 (KDE3.1)
From:       Michael Thaler <michael.thaler () physik ! tu-muenchen ! de>
Date:       2003-02-19 19:49:57

On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 02:28:20PM +0100, David Faure wrote:

> Ghostscript configuration problem (unfortunately I have no idea how
> to fix it. Look in the list archives for this list for something about how
> to add font paths to ghostscript.

Thanks, I will do this.

> To the other questions:
> - - table drawing is a bit broken, I'm working on this today (yay, after so much time ;)

Thank you very much. Inline tables are very nice to design documents
like a curriculum vitae or things like this.

> - - drawing options: not implemented yet. I hate the way it works in MSWord, btw :)
> Can you detail which kind of lines you're looking for? E.g. horizontal line/arrow
> like "--->" in the middle of the text, or lines between paragraphs (anchored where?)
> or actual drawings?

I wanted to do something like this in my curriculum vitae:

|-------------------------------------------------------|
|                                                       | <-- Frame Border
| Education                                             |
| ----------------------------------------------------- |
|	   1982 - 1986 Primary school        ^          |
|	   1986 - 1995 Secondary school      |          |
....	                                     |
                                       Line I want to insert
				       to make document look nicer

I realized this by using additional frames, but it would be much nicer
to place lines (especially horizontal und vertical ones somewhere on
the screen.

Of course it should be possible to attach them to frames, so that not
the whole document is messed up, if you insert, e.g. a graphic
somewhere.

By the way, I always found it annoying, that it is not possible to
anchor frames or pictures to other frames (I do not mean inline
pictures, they have their own flaws), so that they are moved together
with the frame, they are linked to.

What would be really nice, would be the possibility to draw objects
like rectangles, ellipses, stars, bezier curves directly in the text,
because this would really fit very well with the desktop-publishing
like approach of KWord. Inserting Karbon objects is not an option
here. If I design a document and want to put some stars into the text,
just to make it look nicer (maybe a Christmas card or something like
this), then the text should float around the stars (maybe use two
colums and put the star in the middle of the columns). Or it should be
possible to put the star in the back and write the text just over the
stars in the background.

I think Karbon14 already has most of the features I am thinking about,
implemented. Probably documents like I am talking about are already
possible with Karbon14. But I would also like to see these things in
KWord directly. Just imagine some longer texts which few graphical
objects to make it look nicer. Then it would be really better to use a
word processor and put some graphcis in.

Maybe it is possible to reuse the appropriate parts of Karbon14 in KOffice?

> - - MSWord import is getting better by the day, in CVS. Especially for tables ;)

I should really try the CVS Version:-)