List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Experiences with KWord 1.2.1 (KDE3.1)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicolasg () snafu ! de>
Date:       2003-02-19 15:26:17

On Wednesday 19 February 2003 15:27, Michael Thaler wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 19, 2003 at 03:18:11PM +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > Font problems come and go but nobody has really found the reason.
> >
> > In your case, I especially surprised that "Urw Palladio i" would not
> > work, as
>
> I think this was a little bit confusing. I do not have a problem with
> Urw Palladio i", I think this font is printed correctly, the problem
> is the Verdana Font, which is not printed in italic.

Verdana is TrueType as far as i know. May be that is the problem, especially
if you print it to PDF. (GhostScript cannot transform well TrueType fonts to
PDF. You get bitmap fonts out of them.)

> Bit I encountered some font problems in KDE lately with
> fontconfig. Maybe it has something to do with fontconfig.
>
> > it should be known by GhostScript (or are you using a native PostScript
> > printer?).
>
> I just used "print as ps/pdf", whatever that uses:-)

Print as PS uses QT only.

Print as PDF uses the same ouput and gives it to GhostScript to make a PDF out
of it.

> Thanks,
> Michael

Have a nice day/evening/night!