List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: The Return Of The Compile Problems In  CVS HEAD
From:       David Faure <dfaure () klaralvdalens-datakonsult ! se>
Date:       2003-01-26 15:17:23

On Sunday 26 January 2003 16:03, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 26. Januar 2003 14:29 schrieb Peter Simonsson:
> > On Saturday 25 January 2003 18.36, Thorsten Schnebeck wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Entering directory `/usr/local/src/kde-cvs/koffice/kivio/kiviopart'
> > > make[4]: *** No rule to make target `ui/gridsetupdialogbase.h', needed by
> > > `kivio_view.lo'.  Stop.
> > > make[4]: Leaving directory
> > > `/usr/local/src/kde-cvs/koffice/kivio/kiviopart' make[3]: ***
> > > [all-recursive] Error 1
> > >
> > > I don't have a "gridsetupdialogbase.h" after a checkout?!
> >
> > Please update it should be fixed now. But don't expect that kivio will
> > function as expected though ;)
>
> Ok, IIRC there was an enviroment variable to disable the compilation of a kde
> program in a package.
> How does this work?

I just updated the corresponding question in the developer FAQ
(http://developer.kde.org/documentation/other/developer-faq.html)
which only had one way of doing this - it now lists about 4 :)

Pasting it here since the website takes some time to update:

    <h3>Q: <a id="q55.1" name="q55.1">How can I temporarily exclude
    certain directories from build?</a></h3>

    certain directories from build that would otherwise be
    recompiled, but don't actually need to be.<br />
    Also, if you checked out source code that didn't compile and
    you don't have the time or knowledge to fix the error you might
    want to turn off compilation of the directory alltogether.</p>

    For toplevel directories you can simply erase them (or not check them out).
    If for some reason you don't want to do that, you can also set DO_NOT_COMPILE="someapp" before
    calling configure, this will make configure skip "someapp".
    To only compile very few toplevel dirs, instead of using DO_NOT_COMPILE to exclude
    most of them, you can list in a file named 'inst-apps', at the toplevel, the
    toplevel subdirs you want to compile.

    you have to modify the Makefile or Makefile.am files.
    Makefile.am is not recommended because that
    file is in KDE CVS and you could accidentally commit your
    changes. So we'll modify the Makefile instead here:<br />
    Open the Makefile in the directory immediately above the
    directory you want to exclude in a text editor and look for a
    variable SUBDIRS. It will often look somewhat like</p>
    <code>SUBDIRS = share core ui . proxy taskmanager taskbar
    applets extensions data</code>·

    your file. A new <b>make</b> will skip the directory you just
    removed.<br />
    Sometimes you'll have to look harder because the SUBDIRS
    variable consists of a number of other variables:</p>
    <code>SUBDIRS = $(COMPILE_FIRST) $(TOPSUBDIRS)
    $(COMPILE_LAST)</code>·

    COMPILE_LAST variables. One of those contains the dir you want
    to exclude. Remove the directory where you find it and save the
    Makefile again.</p>

    from scratch or revert to an older backup (you did make one,
    did you? :-).<br />
    You can also copy the original line in the file when editing
    and make it a comment by prefixing a '#' in front of it. Then
    undoing the change is as easy as making the modified line a
    comment and removing the comment in the original line.</p>

- --
David Faure -- faure@kde.org, dfaure@klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
KOffice-1.2.1 is available - http://download.kde.org/stable/koffice-1.2.1/