List:       koffice
Subject:    Re:fonts in koffice
From:       "Mansteen" <mansteen () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-01-09 21:48:29

Hello,

I got some help from Seth Kurtzberg on this matter. Some fonts on my system just \
don't show up as they should do in kword.

Nicolas Goutte suggested :

> It is may be because most of your fonts are bitmap fonts.

> KOffice (and any other serious font using application) can only print
> non-bitmap fonts.

> So in the font combobox in the tool bar, you get many font that are not
> usable. The dialog boxes called by the Format menu only display non-bitmap
> fonts, so those fonts should work correctly.

It is true that the fonts presented in the 2 comboboxes are different (why is this?), \
but there is no relation with the quality of the fonts in my test documents. A \
garamond true type font that installed on the system, shows up in the format combo, \
is definitely non-bitmap, and gives a very bad result.

It seems to me that all the fonts that are installed on a linux system (mine is \
Mandrake 9.0) have to serve different masters and have a differents quality \
requirement. On a windows system this is generally different, because there everybody \
conforms to the Gates Dictatorship, hence there is no variety, and very few problems \
with fonts (except for some .ttf of low quality).

It seems that I will have to test all the fonts that are available to me in koffice \
and remember (scribble the names on a piece of paper?) what fonts work and what fonts \
are off limits. This seems to be a silly thing to do. Can't some fonts be hidden? On \
the basis of the foundry? On the basis of an arbitrary list that can be maintained by \
the user? That would be a feature that would be useful...

In the mean time I thank everybody who is willing to make some further suggestions \
that may help me solve my problem. I thank Seth in particular who is helping me to \
determine if there is a problem in my setup somewhere.

Regards

Marc