List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Pamphlet printing
From:       "Claus O. Wilke" <wilke () caltech ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-06 1:07:36

This is getting offtopic, but since it may be useful to some users of koffice:
> I've been playing with pstops the past two days. Now I've got a few
> questions. #1 what program do you use to make the text.ps file? I've got
> Open Office, Abiword, and Koffice. None can do anything with ps files.

All of them print to postscript.

> Anyway I took a ASCII text file and use a2ps to get a ps file. I then took
> your command and it worked fine. Thanks. One problem I see with it, is I
> have to make the fonts much bigger on the  original page to get the right
> size on the printed page. Any idea what size font I need to get a 12 point
> font on the printed page? It looks to me as if pstops cuts the size in
> half. So I bet 24 point is what is needed.

You scale down by a factor of 0.7 (which is approx. 1/sqrt(2)). The point
size should therefore be 1.41 times larger than what the final output should
be. That means: for 10 points, use 14 point fonts, for 12 points, use 17
point fonts.

Claus