List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Formatting large docs in Kword
From:       Clarence Dang <dang () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-13 5:54:16

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:04 pm, Jonathan Drews wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 December 2002 12:25 am, Clarence Dang wrote:
> > Hi Jonathan,
> >
> > Try loading your text file with the other two options in the "End of
> > Paragraph" group i.e. "Sentence" and "Old method" (not "As is") in
> > the "KWord's Plain Text Import Filter" dialog.  They are not perfect
> > but I think they will do what you want.
>
>  Splendid!  Worked like a charm Clarence.

:)
I would be careful about those modes though (esp. "Old method") because they
heuristically determine when it's time to end the paragraph (so sentences
could actually be appended to headings).

> > > BTW Kword now loads and edits these big docs pretty quickly.
> >
> > Really?  The filter reads one character at a time, last time I
> > checked... You should try loading the 20MB DNA sequence associated
> > with bug #45973 :-) (actually the real problem with that bug is the
> > amount of memory that KWord takes up but anyway I'm getting OT again
>
>  Yes, but by using your advice it loaded Volume 1 of Decline and Fall of
> The Roman Empire pretty quickly.
How many gigahertz is your machine? :)
On my Pentium II, it took 8 minutes CPU time before I stopped loading it....
I'm actually going to be working on this filter in a few weeks (colour text
via ANSI escape codes, table support...).

> I then saved that as a Kword doc (with
> the new full page format) and reopened it.  Memory consumption was
> negligible!
I don't think KWord internally uses XML (haven't checked kwdoc.cc, but).

> When I loaded the original text file using "As is: At the
> end of the line", the memory consumption was enormous.
Surely, "Sentence" mode would have have taken a similar amount of memory (it
would be slightly less but not significantly less)?

> It used  ~500 Mb.
> So the page formating makes a big difference in the memory
> consumed?
Well there isn't really a difference in Page Formatting at all with those
modes, just how often "paragraphs" get written.  Dunno about memory though
but I would imagine fewer paragraphs (not "As is" mode) would be better.

> It took about half an hour to paste the 722 additional pages, to make
> the 1444 page *kwd.
IMHO, that's much too long!  But, I'm too busy to fix that at the moment.

Clarence