List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kontour, Karbon14 & Krita
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-12-10 14:25:58

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 15:03:35 +0100, Nicolas Goutte wrote:

>- Krita is quite new and therefore not in KOffice 1.2.x

Hmm, if we count in the predecessors (Krayon and KImageShop) Krita is
not all that new. Unfortunately, nobody would invest enough time to get
it into a releasable state so far. And, yes, a lot of users would also
love to see a free bitmap editor with a usable GUI (i.e. an alternative
to GIMP).

>> I'm a brand new Linux user from Brazil, and I started to use the OS
>> especially because of the features of these three graphic softwares I fount
>> at koffice.org. Well, I installed Red Hat Linux 8 and the KDE 3 X Window
>> system, anxious to use Kontour and Karbon14 just to now if one of them were
>> similar to Adobe Illustrator, Freehand or Corel Draw.
>>
>> And I became so disappointed because neither Kontour or Karbon14 work as
>> well. The Karbon14 that came with my KDE didn't have all the features I saw
>> at your website and Kontour simply didn't work, I couldn't draw lines, work
>> with text and etc.
>>
>> And Krita? What about the GIMP-a-like program?

Well, in theory, there are Corel Draw and PhotoPaint for Linux
(http://linux.corel.com). But they were abandoned / put on the
backburner before they really worked. AFAIK, they did not even publish
some major patches they already had for the latter.

Thomas

---
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/
Deutsche KDE-Uebersetzung: http://i18n.kde.org/teams/de/