List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: RTF vs DOC (was Re: Office 11 Cuts the Cord to Windows 95, 98, 98SE, Me, NT)
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-11-08 23:25:38

I had already explained in a previous email why the idea is not very good. (In
MS Word the file is saved with an RTF extension, making people think that
their changes are lost.)

However, I am just thinking of having a dialog for the MS Word export warning
the user of this masquerade (and explaining it) and letting the user decide
if he wants it or not.

We have all we need in the RTF export, if the checking of the
mime type decide if the dialog is show or not. (The .desktop file must be
changed too!)

If we do it this way, while saving as pseudo-MS-Word, I think that all
OOWriter extensions should be disabled in RTF, but not in the normal RTF
modus. (Something like adding a method RTFWorker::setAllowExtension(bool),
which would change a private bool variable in RTFWorker.)

For example RTFExport:convert could become:

KoFilter::ConversionStatus RTFExport::convert( const QCString& from, const
QCString& to )
{
    if (to != "text/rtf")
    {
        return KoFilter::NotImplemented;
    }

   bool allowPrivate=true;
   if (from == "application/msword")
   {
	allowPrivate=false;
        // TODO: show dialog
    }
   else if (from != "application/x-kword")
    {
        return KoFilter::NotImplemented;
    }

    KImageIO::registerFormats();

    RTFWorker* worker=new RTFWorker();

    worker->setAllowPrivateExtension(allowPrivate);

    KWEFKWordLeader* leader=new KWEFKWordLeader(worker);

    if (!leader)
    {
        kdError(30503) << "Cannot create Worker! Aborting!" << endl;
        delete worker;
        return KoFilter::StupidError;
    }

    KoFilter::ConversionStatus result=leader->convert(m_chain, from,to );

    delete leader;
    delete worker;

    return result;
}