List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-02 11:24:59

> I was referring to the fact that, from the user's perspective, the
> filter is not 100% integrated with the application.  The user wants to
> take a Microsoft office something.doc, open it in kword, and have any
> massaging of the data occur "under the covers".  That is why I said it
> is a perception issue, not a technical issue.  Technically, who cares?
> In terms of convincing the ordinary user to switch word processors, it
> becomes important.  Really it is a user interface decision, and not a
> technical decision at all.

Hmm, maybe I miss something here. I don't fully understand what you mean by
"not 100% integrated". As for user interface, there's no difference between
opening native KWord (XML) or MS Word document (or for any other format):
pick menu File, Open and there you go.

Perhaps you mean that KWord still can't export document to many formats,
including MS Word. But that's solely because certain export filter hasn't
been developed yet. Otherwise, KWord can easily do the import or export (such
as for Abiword, RTF, HTML, AmiPro, and WordPerfect document), albeit with
varying degree of quality.