List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2002-11-02 5:29:37

Ariya,

I wasn't referring to the quality of the available filters.  They can
probably use improvement (what can't?), but that applies equally to the
competition.

I was referring to the fact that, from the user's perspective, the
filter is not 100% integrated with the application.  The user wants to
take a Microsoft office something.doc, open it in kword, and have any
massaging of the data occur "under the covers".  That is why I said it
is a perception issue, not a technical issue.  Technically, who cares?
In terms of convincing the ordinary user to switch word processors, it
becomes important.  Really it is a user interface decision, and not a
technical decision at all.

As an engineer, I like the filter architecture.  As someone who tries to
convince people that kword is a viable alternative, the _visible_ part
of the filter architecture is a problem.  People are lazy, and they
already know how to use Microsoft word, and they will at first look for
an excuse to go back to it.

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 22:40, Ariya Hidayat wrote:

> >  I think this is a result of the separation of the filters from
> > the tools that use them.  Ironically, a good engineering decision
> > (modularity of the software that translates among formats) produces a
> > negative marketing effect.
>
> I'd like to give my comment. KOffice filter architecture has nothing to do
> with the filter quality. After being involved in developing a few filters for
> KOffice, you can have my word that developing filter for KWord, KSpread, or
> KPresenter is not difficult. However, it's just time consuming, not to
> mention that we're lack of developers.
>
> MS Office import filter maybe imperfect but hey, this filter is simply
> "younger" than its OO counterpart (even now Werner and David are working to
> improve Word import). OTOH, at the moment there's no way OO can open Abiword,
> MS Write, AmiPro, and WordPerfect documents, which KWord can handle more or
> less.
>
> That said, filter quality of KOffice might not be as expected, but it's
> because no real significant effort has been put there. AFAICS filters
> developers are all working on their spare time (which could be really limited
> in many cases) and even KOffice only has David and Laurent working full-time.
> So, in terms of achievements vs manhours, I would say that KOffice is just
> amazing !
>

> "KDE has no future"
>          -- de Icaza
Seth Kurtzberg