List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: [kde] KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-11-02 4:48:06

>  I think this is a result of the separation of the filters from
> the tools that use them.  Ironically, a good engineering decision
> (modularity of the software that translates among formats) produces a
> negative marketing effect.

I'd like to give my comment. KOffice filter architecture has nothing to do
with the filter quality. After being involved in developing a few filters for
KOffice, you can have my word that developing filter for KWord, KSpread, or
KPresenter is not difficult. However, it's just time consuming, not to
mention that we're lack of developers.

MS Office import filter maybe imperfect but hey, this filter is simply
"younger" than its OO counterpart (even now Werner and David are working to
improve Word import). OTOH, at the moment there's no way OO can open Abiword,
MS Write, AmiPro, and WordPerfect documents, which KWord can handle more or
less.

That said, filter quality of KOffice might not be as expected, but it's
because no real significant effort has been put there. AFAICS filters
developers are all working on their spare time (which could be really limited
in many cases) and even KOffice only has David and Laurent working full-time.
So, in terms of achievements vs manhours, I would say that KOffice is just
amazing !

"KDE has no future"
         -- de Icaza