List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KDE version of OpenOffice?
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-11-01 7:49:14

On Friday 01 November 2002 9:34 am, Philipp Müller wrote:
|  Am Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2002 15:46 schrieb Piotr Gawrysiak:
[...]
|  > What do you think? Does it all make sense or am I only dreaming? Is it
|  > worthwhile to start thinking about such project (gathering support,
|  > developers, and maybe - even funds) or is it just stupid?
|
|  Wortwhile it is yes, as worthwile as SUN thinks about a GNOME port (I
| asume they do as they said about it officially), but I haven't seen any
| line of code yet from anybody.

Yes, I am also surprised that 2 years after first announce (I think it was in
Oct.2000) there is no GNOME port of OpenOffice.
I think GNOME developers told tha they would "split OO into parts, make BONOBO
components out of them, and then assemble those components into office suit
back"

So far I know that GNOME users (GNumeric and AbiWord users, in particular) are
hot happy with OpenOffice.
And they continue to develop GNumeric and AbiWord.
And this is Good (tm), IMO, as:
a) integration/inter-operation between GNOME and KDE is much better than
vbetween KDE and OO.
b)  GNOME2 supports latest technologies, like font anti-aliasing, FontConfig
(to configure font/rendering settings, woul dbe part of XFree85 4.3.0
release)
Clipboard is inter-operational between GNOME and KDE, too.
c) exchnaging *code* and *data formats* is much simpler between Gnome Office
and KOffice.
I think Nicolas Goutte cantell you more here :-)

[...]
|  > note 4 - which is a shame, because KOffice has lots of potential.
|  > However - this is just as with KDE vs GNOME wars - does Open Source
|  > community have enough resources to push two similar projects at the same
|  > time now?
|
|  No, not a shame and:
|      There is no war between GNOME and KDE, not at all!
|
|  The war is only a marketing wording from newspapers, so they can sell
| their stories better.
|  Between GNOME and KDE is competion not war!

I would add that both are sharing same system libraries, and I think
cliparts/icons can be easily shared, too.
There is a coomon Icon Theme format, common ".desktop" file specification,
etc.
I think OpenOffice is far behing GNOME (and KDE) in support for those
standards.

What I really would like to see from OpenOffice side is GTK2 port (not GNOME2,
GTK and GNOME ar enot the same!).  I think it's "do-able".
I have learned recently from Lauris (Sodipodi author) than they are trying to
get rid of GNOME1 dependencies/code at a moment, and next version of Sodipodi
would be GTK2-based.  There would be no Sodipodi for GNOME2! ;-)
From y experience, GTK2-based apps are rather fast, and start quite fast even
from KDE3.
If you don't believe me - try to start
#/usr/bin/gtk-demo
from console (supposing you have GTK2 installed)

|  Both environments are only doing the same, as we find it with nearly all
| free software projects like OS's (FreeBSD - Linux), printer servers (lpd -
| CUPS), web servers (Apache and all the tiny ones), proxies, browsers, mail
| clients, ...
|
|  No problem from my side here, monolitic structures are bad bad bad bad
| bad...
|
|  The choice is the good thing. The choice forces improvements. The choice
| tells the users and programmers, there are other ways of doing things. The
| choice drives the future!

Fully agree with you!

[...]
|  Philipp
|
|  PS: I'm not talking for KOffice in general, I'm just giving my impression
| and view of things. Other developers may see it differently.

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html
KDE mini-Themes