List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Clipart dialog
From:       Benoit Vautrin <benoit.vautrin () free ! fr>
Date:       2002-10-23 7:20:59

> Hi Benoit,
>
> > Ok, here is the current state of my work:
> > I've written a clipart dialog in the kofficeui lib with previews and
> > support  for multiple clipart collections ( e.g. Klipart for example. )
> > both in  KDEDIRS and in your local home, including your own as you can
> > (if in your   local .kde dir) add/remove collections/categories.
> > It works with directories containing only images but if there are
> > .desktop  files in them, the name and comment are used (make it simple
> > to i18n clipart  collections).
> > Oh, and you can choose in the dialog constructor if you want pixmaps,
> > vector  images or both.
> > That's what I've made for the moment.
>
> I see the screenshot, and I like it very much :)
> However, I guess the layout could always be a bit improved ;)
> I think the main clipart area in the middle could be made a bit bigger, or
> at least higher so the widgets on the left, middle and right are of
> equal height. But I assume that is easily changed.

No big deal. ;)

> The possibility to
> select from clipart collections was exactly the thing I missed from
> the karbon14 clipart tool chooser.
> BTW what painter do you use to draw the clipart "icons" in the middle?

I reuse as much component as possible to make it consistent with the rest of
KDE and so, the icon view and the preview widget are the open dialog ones.

> > I'm still working on the search feature using (I hope) the comments
> > included  the clipart files (I'm missing for that the svg
> > KFilePlugin...), and I still  miss icons for the buttons and the
> > Klipart categories.
>
> I am not sure what KFilePlugins really are, I am willing to learn that and
> make a svg one though :) That is assuming it wont take a lot of work.

You can look at those in the kdegraphics package for png, bmp, etc. The only
that really misses is the SVG one as most images of Klipart are SVG.

> The
> icons for the clipart collections are probably the responsibility of the
> clipart creator, at least that seems most logical to me. And he/she could
> choose the most representitive clipart out of the set for that...
> > If someone could help me with the icons, I would greatly appreciate !
Agreed.
For the moment, the icon is the one from the *.desktop file.

> > I wanted to discuss the design of the dialog with you on IRC, I haven't
> > found  a way to make ksirc work...
>
> You could try using another client then :-) If you have mozilla, chatzilla
> is ok... Also I have heard good things about kvirc.

;). Yeah, I know, but I really miss time at the moment. Will try to find
something,, I promise.

bye,
        Ben.