List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: RE : Market
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2002-10-18 23:50:37

Laurence

I don't disagree with you.  I was only suggesting something temporary
until the feature you are asking about can be supported.  I'm not
working on that part of koffice (I'm working on database capabilities),
so I have no control over what is implemented, and when, for document
formats.

As for convincing people to switch from Microsoft products, this is
still a difficult thing to do, although not as difficult as it was a
year or two ago.  My experience has been that the user tries it, but
within short order they find something that works differently in Word
(for example) and they switch back because they either (1) don't know
that it can be done in the alternative program or (2) aren't willing to
learn new ways to do things.  I'm not saying that it can't be done, but
it is still very difficult.  I don't think that will be true for very
much longer.

To me the situation looks very much like the hardware situation in the
early 80's.  For a time, it was almost impossible to convince a user to
by a machine not made by IBM, even though the competitive machines had
better price/performance ratios.  At some point, enough "clone" machines
were sold so that software vendors started to support the more generic
machines.  Within two years, IBMs overpriced boxes were rejected by the
market.

I think a similar thing is going to happen in software.  If enough
people are using non-Microsoft products, then users will restrict
themselves to features available in both Microsoft and competitive
products.  The user interfaces will become more closely aligned, and
people will no longer think that Microsoft is the only option.

One last point:  Microsoft Office does not support PDF.  You need to buy
a separate (and expensive) package from Adobe, which "looks" to the
software as if it is a printer.  This is identical to what I proposed,
except for the extra step (instead of saving PDF directly I suggested
saving PS and converting to PDF).  The user really doesn't care how it
happens, as long as they can say "save as PDF".

Seth Kurtzberg
M. I. S. Corp
480-661-1849
Pager 888-605-9296, or 6059296@skytel.com