List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord with tabs
From:       Philipp =?iso-8859-1?q?M=FCller?= <philipp.mueller () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-09-27 6:18:40

Hello ephemerom,

Am Freitag, 27. September 2002 00:00 schrieb ephemeron:
> So, okay, the opposition's chief argument is that tabs or their
> equivalent is the desktop's responsibility. Fine. If, make that a big IF
> you're using KDE. A lot of people don't use KDE as a desktop. Imagine
> all those people using a bare-bones window manager like Blackbox.
> Besides, requiring them to use an external applet such as the Kasbah is
> introducing another level of complexity. Imagine having to teach both
> the niceties of desktop management and the basics of word processing.
>
> I don't think it's the KOffice team's dream to do things the Microsoft
> way: My office suite only works with my operating system. Shouldn't
> users of other windowing environments also be given the chance to mix
> and match and enjoy the benefits of a lean (in terms of startup time and
> memory footprint) but featureful word processor and DTP tool?
>
> If tabs really are useful (and Konqueror, Konsole, Fluxbox and Galeon's
> tabs should be proof enough) then it wouldn't hurt to implement them
> from within KWord. Those who don't need tabs can simply not use them.
> Don't click on that little toolbar button with the sun (for "new) rising
> between two flat-topped mountains ("tabs"). Or go to Settings /
> Configure / User Interface / Make Tabs Go Away.

I'm getting a bit annoyed by this topic and especially by the rude tone.
You now say the developers seem to have a Microssoft attitude. Do you really
think this helps you argumenting?
Where are the arguments: Developer power, style guide definition,
priorisations and last but not least code attached which does what you want?

- There are still so few developers, that they are working on things that are
in their view much more important than this little thing. They already gave
you some hints, how you nearly can get what you want today. What do you think
how many are working on KWord or the other applications?

- KWord is not a stand alone application, when KWord does have such a mode,
than the other KOffice and all other KDE document centric applications should
have the same. This is style guide. Please discuss not for KWord alone and
best in the usability mailing list, so it get's defined for whole KDE.

- There are so many more important things to do, that with the few developers
at the moment work on the other issues first. Or to make an example, please
discuss with the MS Word filter people, that the developer should stop
working on im/export filter and start with implementing this tiny little
thing (beside of the effect that anybody can say: "Hey, freetime programmer,
you now must work on this, we the users have decided on it").

- If you would have working code which you can contribute, it would help much.
Or maybe you simply offer other help. Documentation writing, translations,
enhancing our websites or maintaining general stuff. A lot would help to give
your task more priority to others, if you offer help not only complains.

I think you didn't see that any of the developers sayed: "No we will never do
it". It was only "No we don't intend to do it NOW, you can already have it
with ...", doesn't this help you already?

You said no, fine, your opinion, not the opinion of everyone.

Please be patient or help developing and don't get rude.

For me this discussion doesn't make sence at the moment and I think others
will agree too.

Philipp