List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord with tabs
From:       ephemeron <ephemeron () uk2 ! net>
Date:       2002-09-26 22:00:43

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 22:42:33 +0200
Charles de Miramon <cmiramon@kde-france.org> wrote:

>  Le Jeudi 26 Septembre 2002 06:58, ephemeron a écrit :
>  > I noticed that the new konqueror (3.1 beta) now has tabs. Together
>  > with Konsole, that makes for at least two solid KDE applications
>  > having this feature. Could KWord be far behind? Tabs make working
>  > with multiple documents cleaner and more efficient as the user will
>  > deal with only instance of the program.
>  >
>  > The ability to detach tabs or not to have them at all, a feature
>  > already present in Konqueror, should satisfy those who insist on
>  > the virtues of the Single Document Interface.
>
>  look : http://lists.kde.org/?l=koffice&m=103192376512397&w=2
>
>  and the fiery discussion afterwards.

So, okay, the opposition's chief argument is that tabs or their
equivalent is the desktop's responsibility. Fine. If, make that a big IF
you're using KDE. A lot of people don't use KDE as a desktop. Imagine
all those people using a bare-bones window manager like Blackbox.
Besides, requiring them to use an external applet such as the Kasbah is
introducing another level of complexity. Imagine having to teach both
the niceties of desktop management and the basics of word processing.

I don't think it's the KOffice team's dream to do things the Microsoft
way: My office suite only works with my operating system. Shouldn't
users of other windowing environments also be given the chance to mix
and match and enjoy the benefits of a lean (in terms of startup time and
memory footprint) but featureful word processor and DTP tool?

If tabs really are useful (and Konqueror, Konsole, Fluxbox and Galeon's
tabs should be proof enough) then it wouldn't hurt to implement them
from within KWord. Those who don't need tabs can simply not use them.
Don't click on that little toolbar button with the sun (for "new) rising
between two flat-topped mountains ("tabs"). Or go to Settings /
Configure / User Interface / Make Tabs Go Away.