List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord template experiences - continued
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2002-09-22 22:36:27

On Saturday 21 September 2002 17:32, Anders Lund wrote:

> Finally, I have experienced problems with some fonts: when using a
> custom bullet from one of the symbol fonts (Symbol[URW],
> Symbol[Adope], Zapf Dingbats etc) they don't get printed; neither
> does some formula characters (from the same group of fonts, I think).
> Is that a commonly known issue, or a local misconfiguration (in that
> case hints on how to fix it would be greatly appreciated)?

 Hi:

 A solution for the symbols fonts is to use the free Esstix fonts. These
fonts are used in Kformula but work very well in Kword. Of course there
is no convenient key mapping from the desired character to the
appropriate key, without using Kformula. However, WYSIWYG behavior
appears to be preserved. The Esstix fonts also contain normal Latin
characters. Here is an excerpt concerning their use and distribution
(from the pdf in the ftp download):

Version 0.0. Copyright © 2000 Elsevier Science BV, Amsterdam, The
Netherlands. These fonts may be used and distributed freely by and to
everyone. Changes are not permitted without consent of Elsevier
Science BV. There is no warranty of any kind. The fonts have been
generated as Type One fonts (.PFB-files) with a standard Adobe
encoding, and as TrueType fonts (.TTF-files), with a Windows encoding.
Also .AFM- and .PFM-files are present

The fonts are available here:
ftp://ftp.elsevier.nl/pub/styles/esstix/esstix.zip

Another useful site that will yield fonts for future use in Kword  is
here:
http://www.stixfonts.org/
EXCERPT:

Welcome to STIX Fonts

The mission of the Scientific and Technical Information Exchange (STIX)
font creation project is the preparation of a comprehensive set of
fonts that serve the scientific and engineering community in the
process from manuscript creation through final publication, both in
electronic and print formats. Toward this purpose, the STIX fonts will
be made available, under royalty-free license, to anyone, including
publishers, software developers, scientists, students, and the general
public.

--
					Cheers,
					Jonathan

"Easy things should be easy, and hard things should be possible."
        --Larry Wall