List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: when and how to remove Backupfiles
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-08-01 11:15:20

On Thursday 01 August 2002 13:02, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 1 Aug 2002 at 12:25, David Faure wrote:
> > > a) automaticaly delete backupfiles after a defined time (1 day, 1 week
> > > ...)
> >
> > How? What would do that? I suppose you mean "1 week after not opening
> > this document". So this means kword should look at the previously opened
> > docs, on startup, to remove their backup files? What if saving went wrong
> > with one of those, and the user won't notice until next month?
>
> I use word2K regularly and it defaults to delete the backup file if it
> exists successfully. Further it creates some temporary files which are diff
> types and can be merged with original document to create current one.
>
> After I lost a biiig document, I configured word to generate backup
> irrespective of everything.
>
> I suggest
>
> 1)Koffice has a way to configure whether to take permanent backup i.e. one
> which persists between koffice sessions. If this is set to true, these
> should be generated in the same directory as the document. This is current
> behaviour but not configurable.

So you want to configure it, but _you_ want it on? Why make it configurable
then?

> 2)We put a temporary backup in ~/.kde/somewhere which is similar to vim/vi
> swap files. Remove it after a successful save/session exit.

The autosave files are done like that, the invisibility of those is needed, I
agree.
For backup files, however, it is needed to be visible otherwise the user can't
find them! What good is a backup file if you can't find it!

--
Thomas Zander                                           zander@planescape.com
                                                 We are what we pretend to be