List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: another suggestion for writing new filters
From:       Werner Trobin <trobin () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-19 15:54:45

On Friday 19 July 2002 17:51, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 July 2002 8:54 am, Werner Trobin wrote:
> [...]
> |
> |  > This license issue is really thorny, and the Apache folks haven't been
> |  > too responsive to fixing it so that it works under the GPL.  I find it
> |  > most highly ironic that under the Apache license I could exploit the
> |  > project by forking a proprietary version of the code, but I can't use
> |  > with a GPL project, even though I would be giving back to their
project.
> |  >  It is unfortunate, because the Apache foundation could fix their
> |  > license by making Apache a trademark and issuing a separate trademark
> |  > license, much like what AbiWord does.
> |  >
> |  > Also if we use wv2, then we could use a C++ port of the POI OLE library
> |  > that we started.  That is if the C++ translation from Java is not
> |  > covered by the Apache License.
> |
> |  Hmm, I really wonder why everybody is trying to rewrite the OLE part of
> | wv2 ;) Right now we're using a thin (but comfortable) layer on top of the
> | libole2 library. This library does everything we need for import and
> | export. Up to now I only found one bug in the small block handling on
> | writing, but there's a workaround available. Michael Meeks recognized that
> | there's a bug (he added it to his TODO), so it should hopefully be fixed
at
> | some point.
> |  The dependencies are also minimal (we "ship" a current libole2 and a
> | mini-glib version, a few KLOC of C code).
>
> Hi Werner !
>
> Can you please tell in a few words: what is the current status of wv2?

Funny that you ask this right now, after I finished the first draft of the
design document. I'll write a separate mail later today, but to give you a
sneak preview:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/wvware/wv2/doc/DESIGN.html?rev=1.7

Please post all your replies to the mail I'll write in a few hours.

Ciao,
Werner

P.S. Sorry if that are a few words more than you expected ;-)
P.P.S. I have no idea if that link works for you as it does for me. I can see
the document, the W3C Steely stylesheet, and two embedded images. In case you
get the plain HTML I suggest that you check out the wv2 project at:
http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=10501