List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: quotation marks
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-13 6:08:03

Am Mittwoch, 12. Juni 2002 22:30 schrieb Bryce Nesbitt:

> X has two methods of entering exteneded characters.  Dead keys:
>         ~a             = ã
>
> And compose keys (/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose):

Sure, totally fine with me. But the Alt+Numpad method also has its advantages:

1) It works for _every_ character on _every_ keyboard with a numpad

2) Users from about _all_ other platforms (DOS, Windows, probably Mac) are
totally used to this method and are continously annoyed that it is disabled
in X11.

> A third method would not hurt.  I just see this as an X issue, maybe a
> QT issue.  But definitely not a KDE issue, and not a single application
> issue.  IMHO it should work the same way for all applications and
> environments.

Well, from a user perspective it would be great if it worked at least in all
KDE, preferably of course in all Qt apps. And since it already works in
KWord, KPresenter, and KBabel this may be actually in sight now. But waiting
for X to implement it could mean to put this off indefinitely. Why should we?

> Note that Kcharselect can easily be used by an application.  The app
> brings up Kcharselect, and the user can double-click on characters to
> insert them.

Sure, I appreciate this. It is okay with any special character you rarely
need. But if you need one of them more frequently, you don't want to look it
up every time in a separate window and leave the keyboard for a mouse click.
You just want to go on typing.

Problem: you are going to need the numpad number. In Windows, the char
selection utility is displaying them. From the DOS days, I remember having a
small Basic (?) routine that would display a table with all chars of the
present code page. (Might be difficult to achieve this with our huge Unicode
stuff, don't know.) Something like this is missing in KDE.

> I could also make KCharselect document the Unicode glyph value,
> on the assumption that X becomes ready to enter it.

Great, that's exactly what I was after. ;-) Maybe displaying the numbers
should be configurable for people who are not interested in this feature.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org