List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Problems printing to CUPS printer
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-06-04 12:08:03

On Sunday 02 June 2002 12:52 pm, Raimund Dold wrote:
|  On Saturday 01 June 2002 19:53, Philipp Müller wrote:
|  > Am Donnerstag, 30. Mai 2002 10:57 schrieb Raimund Dold:
|  > > > How does preview work in all cases?
|  > >
|  > > The preview looks correct, printing from the preview window gives the
|  > > same result.
|  >
|  > So I rather think this is a problem with your printer installation
|  > itself than one with KOffice.
|  > Is printing (i.e. preview) working in all other apps?
|
|  What do you mean with all other apps? Kate for example?
|
|  What is the best way to check the printer installation (despite printing
| the test page)?
|
|  Raimund

I installed *several* drivers for Xerox Docuprint P8e, all of them work!
 If you have printer with PCL6 support - you can also add driver for LJ5gray,
than (I think) you will get anti-aliasing on printouts... (see my
experimental setup for 4512_LJ5Gray)
But this will require extra memory on your printer, and a lot of procesing
power, as a *whole page* will be printed as bitmap!

[root@VPlessky vad]# cat /etc/cups/printers.conf
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.14
# Written by cupsd on Wed May 29 17:20:37 2002
<Printer P8e_gimp_print>
Info XEROX DocuPrint P8e
Location room 504
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer Xerox_4512_LJ5gray>
Info Xerox 4512 with LJ5gray driver
Location room 504
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer Xerox_4512_LJet4>
Info Experimental
Location again, room 504
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer Xerox_P8e_ijs>
Info XEROX DocuPrint P8e - gimp-print-ijs
Location room 504
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<DefaultPrinter Xerox_P8e_PCL4>
Info Xerox-P8e-PCL4
Location again, room 504
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer XeroxP8e>
Info Xerox P8e - HP LaserJet Series driver
Location room 604
DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
AllowUser vad
</Printer>

About
  DeviceURI socket://192.168.100.1:9100
this printer is connected to network/print-server D-Link DP-802, port 9100
stands for Parallel Port 1 on this print server.
192.168.100.1 is IP address of that print server

Hope this helps a little bit.
--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)