List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Embedding KWord.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-06-04 7:26:20

On Monday 03 June 2002 19:09, Darío Mariani wrote:
> Hello:
> I'm in the process of porting a Windows application to Linux. This app
> uses MS-Word for it's word processing needs wich is embedded in a
> control so when activated it puts its menus and toolbars on my app. The
> layout is more or less like this:
>
> 	+--------------------------------------+
> 	|  My Menu                             |
> 	+--------------------------------------+
> 	| +------+ +-------------------------+ |
> 	| |      | |                         | |
> 	| | Page | |      MS - Word          | |
> 	| | List | |      Document           | |
> 	| |      | |                         | |
> 	| +------+ +-------------------------+ |
> 	+--------------------------------------+
>

> I saw that it might be possible to do the same with KWord on Linux

I'm happy that you chose KWord for this!

> using KParts and DCOP.

KParts for the (in-process) embedding.
I was about to say "you don't need DCOP". But you might need it indeed,
since it allows to access more of KWord's internals than mere KParts embedding.

> Can you point me to documentation about this?

There's plenty of documentation about KParts around:

General article about KParts:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-kparts

Chapter 12 in the KDE-2.0-development book:
http://developer.kde.org/documentation/books/kde-2.0-development/ch12.html

Tutorial "Creating KParts components" (for KDE2 and KDE3)
on the IBM website (needs quick registration) :
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/linux-onlinecourse-bytitle/A96500917FA1DB0786256BC000808C0F?Open&t=gr,p=KParts

> Wich objects does KWord export?

A KoDocument _is_ a KParts::ReadWritePart.
Hmm, I suspect some fixes to libkofficecore might be needed, we currently
support single-view readonly components (when embedding in konqueror),
and multi-view readwrite components (the normal koffice case), but I don't
think anyone tested the single-view readwrite component case. Feel free to
report problems or patches, obviously.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/