List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Load times for Kword as compared to other WP
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-05-29 19:02:27

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 18:03, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 29 May 2002 15:36, Nicolas Goutte wrote:
> > On Wednesday 29 May 2002 10:25, David Faure wrote:
> > > Hmm, you have to know that when loading a .txt file, KWord actually
> > > loads the text twice. First the text import filter converts the text
> > > file to a .kwd file, then KWord loads that one ;-)
> > > So there's a way of making the text import much faster: it would need
> > > to be rewritten to directly feed the text into KWord.... but then we
> > > lose the advantage of command-line conversion, piping to another
> > > filter, etc.
> >
> > I do not think that it is really the problem, as the test shows that
>
> That's technically impossible (since it has to load the .kwd after
> converting the .txt to it, loading the .kwd alone can't be longer).
> I think the times for the .kwd loading were wrong due to the "it hangs"
> problem.

Ah, I did not understood that the times are loadind + closing, I thought it
was loading only.

Otherwise, the load of a file saved by KWord could be slower than a KWord file
generated by a filter, as the filter does not generate all tags.

However, I forgot that a filter has to compress the output file, so there
cannot be a time gain in the whole loading.

Have a nice day/evening/night!