List:       koffice
Subject:    Load times for Kword as compared to other WP
From:       Jonathan Drews <j.e.drews () worldnet ! att ! net>
Date:       2002-05-29 6:16:11

Just for fun, I decided to see how quickly  various word processors
loaded a large document. I chose The Project Gutenberg Etext of Volume
1: The History of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Edward
Gibbon. This is a 490 page document containing 268283 words. I started
the word processor/editor and, then once it loaded, I shut it down
right away. Here are the various load times:

For Abiword 1.0.1:
poincare@linux:~/Documents> time abiword 1dfre10.txt
real    3m9.983s
user    3m3.150s
sys     0m2.030s

For StarOffice 5.2:
poincare@linux:~/Documents> time soffice 1dfre10.txt
real    0m51.247s
user    0m5.470s
sys     0m0.490s

For Kword 1.2 Beta 1:
poincare@linux:~/Documents> time kword 1dfre10.txt
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
kformula: WARNING: No font file read. Using defaults.
kformula: WARNING: No font file read. Using defaults.

real    4m49.814s
user    4m18.160s
sys     0m2.460s
NOTE: Kword "hangs" on shutdown. If I use CTRL C, the catual time is
around 52 seconds.

kword: Loading took 2.631 seconds (this is debug output )
real    5m43.157s
user    5m5.850s
sys     0m1.110s

NOTE: Once again it "hung" on shutdown.  This was for the cvs HEAD
version of Kword, from 26 May.

The text editors Kedit and KATE give:

poincare@linux:~/Documents> time kedit 1dfre10.txt
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

real    0m10.231s
user    0m8.180s
sys     0m0.480s

poincare@linux:~/Documents> time kate 1dfre10.txt
Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".

real    0m5.028s
user    0m1.120s
sys     0m0.170s

 Finally the traditional UNIX editors:
For EMACS:
poincare@linux:~/Documents> time emacs 1dfre10.txt

real    0m4.159s
user    0m0.290s
sys     0m0.050s

And Vim:
poincare@linux:~/Documents> time vim 1dfre10.txt

real    0m1.257s
user    0m0.050s
sys     0m0.000s

Heh -- Vim is screaming fast.

 The text file size was 1.6M but the kword (*kwd) was  972k (very
strange, I would think it would be bigger).

 I ran these tests on a 1.4 GHz Athlon with 256 Mb RAM (at 133 Mhz).