List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: O.T. Spam
From:       Seth Kurtzberg <seth () cql ! com>
Date:       2002-05-27 16:56:26

As I see it there are several alternatives:

1.  Use a moderator.  Not a bad solution but slows things down.

2.  Reject all HTML mail.  To me this is acceptable if we send an email back
to (legitimate) senders saying "resend in plain text".

3.  Use the new SPAM filter mechanism that will be available soon in kmail.
Of course SPAM filters are never going to be 100% effective, and not everyone
uses kmail.

4.  Relay the mail through a server with filtering capabilities.  Same
comment as #3 W.R.T. effectiveness.

On Monday 27 May 2002 05:43 am, Keith Powell wrote:
> Is anyone else being plagued with spam being sent via the koffice group?
>
> I am being inundated with it: business opportunities, investment
> invitations, help with investing money from abroad, invitations to visit
> sex sites, and so on. Some are only short messages, but others are quite
> long. Many of them are in HTML. They are just getting a real nuisance. I am
> getting more of them than genuine koffice postings.
>
> I can see no way of filtering out these messages.
>
> Is there a way of not having to download the things apart from me leaving
> the group?  I don't want to have to do that, as it is a good group.
>
> Cheers
>
> Keith

Seth Kurtzberg
MIS Corp.