List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Re: RFC: Renaming karbon14
From:       kudling () kde ! org
Date:       2002-05-02 14:31:37

Hi,

> Could you please tell what "14" is for? I have no clue why the application

Well, maybe you know "c14". In the same way as "cold fusion" doesnt tell
much about the product i chose karbon14 because its a nice name.

> About the name, I like the name "karbon". What is the procedure to register
> this name? If we do not register our application names, we will always have
> to keep them changing. Can the kde-league help us here?

That's why numbers and names like "stupid" are save. ;)

> From what I read at a few places, karbon is a vector drawing application. So

Yup.

> what is the difference between karbon and kontour? Is there a possibility

Can you "gg:difference karbon kontour" please, that's becoming a faq. ;)

> - there is no place for 2 vector drawing applications in koffice (or in any
> office suite). If you think of it from the point of view of an end user, its
> just confusing to him/her.
> - if at present four people are working on each app, then after merging, 8
> people will be working on the same application. Guess what the progress of
> the application would be then!

You'd be surprised, but everybody did this math before.

> So I suggest that whatever differences are between the two applications be

People also suggest to merge gnome and kde... you see? Sometimes it's
not easy or even impossible.

Bye
Lenny, who thinks tha we should swap this thread to "koffice".