List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: MS Filters - wv2 vs OO DTD
From:       "T.J. Mather" <tjmather () tjmather ! com>
Date:       2002-04-24 4:57:18

There was an interesting point brought up in that thread, that is
having a common DTD could limit the functionality that could be
developed for KOffice.

It sounds like having common MS Filters is the way to go.  For anybody
interested in wv2 (the common MS Word library Werner Trobin
started), check out the mailing list at
http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/wvware-devel

There is also a roadmap outlining the design goals of the library:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/wvware/wv2/ROADMAP.txt?rev=1.1

Anyway, I really hope this can get going again, because having a good
office suite with good filters is something that the Linux desktop
really needs.  KOffice has a great design, and once the filters are
there, I think a lot more people will start using it.  wv2 could be one
of the most important projects for the Linux Desktop :-)

-TJ