List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Chapter numbering help for documentation.
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-04-22 8:14:01

On Saturday 20 April 2002 18:11, Mike McBride wrote:
> Developers,
>
> I know everyone is busy with the beta release, but I need some tips from
> a developer on Chapter numbering in KWord, so I can write useable
> documentation.
>
> I can not figure out the logic behind chapter numbering (via the format
> paragraph dialog).  If anyone has a few moments to get me started on the
> purpose and how chapter numbering differs from list numbering, I would
> appreciate it.

In the current state of things, Chapter numbering is mostly useful for
Head styles only. Reason: any paragraph with a chapter numbering (depth<=3)
will be included in the TOC .... so it's not really recommended to use this
for normal paragraphs if using Head styles as well.

This is a limitation, and some sort of "include in TOC" checkbox is necessary.
Or the TOC generation should only use paragraphs with a Head style...
but to avoid dependency on the style names (people might rename them,
there's the i18n issue, etc.) I simply relied on the numbering-type to be "chapter".

Suggestions welcome, but in the current state of things, Chapter numbering
should be reserved to Head styles, i.e. I don't advise users to manually
set this numbering to any paragraph (is there any reason not to use the styles?)

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david/, http://www.konqueror.org/