List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Definition Table-Worksheet, All Tables-Workbook (was Re: Kspread Recalculate Question)
From:       Ariya Hidayat <ariya () tf ! itb ! ac ! id>
Date:       2002-04-15 7:38:18

> For the example of Pam, this would mean, we should use "Recalculate Table" (as
> we really only recalcualte the table, embedded objects are either
> recalculated automatically or not as a result of it) and "Recalculate All
> Tables".
> Both changes are in CVS already, I can revert if we want to.
>
> EXCEL don't make any difference between the definition of the words
> "Worksheet" and "Table", or do you see any?
> But I think we should.

In Excel/StarCalc/Gnumeric, nothing is "Table", i.e there's no concept of
Table. A workbook consist of several worksheets.

Anyway, nothing should be Recalc in embedded object, right ? I believe that
for example series in charts are somehow linked to certain cells in the
table/sheet, and it's one-way. It's impossible that cells are dependent on
chart (or other embedded objects). Hence, no Recalc necessary. IMHO that's
the way Recalc works (at least back then when I still use Lotus 1-2-3).

So, if the above holds, it doesn't make sense to set a difference between
Table and Worksheet. Comments/flames ?

> BTW: If we follow the above definition, there will be more changes needed in
> current KSpread (for example "insert/delete table" needs to be changed in
> "insert/delete worksheet").
I agree: s/Table/Sheet. However, if it should be done for good, I don't
oppose it at all.

Maybe we should trigger usability study on KSpread. It's about the time.
So,Chris ?

Regards,

:: ariya :: www.advogato.org/person/ariya