List:       koffice
Subject:    A few problems with kpresenter 1.1.1
From:       Petter Reinholdtsen <pere () hungry ! com>
Date:       2002-03-21 18:06:00

I recently made a presentation using KPresenter 1.1.1.  The last time
I tried this (in 1999), the program was completely usless, failing to
read its own datafiles if I included images.  This time it was a lot
better.

My presentation was to be printed on slides, because I am without a
laptop at the moment.  The last few years, I have been using LaTeX for
this task, but I decided to give KPresenter a go.

There where several problems.  I wanted to use some slide pages from
another presentation already made by some of the other people on my
project.  Loading these into kpresenter did not go very well.  The
font used ('utopia') looked horrible on my Debian Woody, and the
letters did not fit on the pages anymore.  These slides where written
on a RedHat box.  I find it very annoying that the slides changes
layout and fonts when the documents are moved from one machine to
another.  (This is one of the big problems with M$ PowerPoint, you do
not want to have the same problem in KPresenter. :-)

Next, I discovered it was impossible to copy images from one instance
of KPresenter and into another.  I marked/copied the page I needed in
one instance, and pasted it into the document I was writing.  This
worked just fine, except the images was missing.  Thank good the
KPresenter file format are just .tar.gz files.  I was able to extract
the images I needed, and reinsert them into my presentation.  But it
was annoying.

Third, I discovered what I belive must be a fatal bug.  Sometimes, I
discovered that the content some of pages (I believe mostly at the end
of my document) moved upwards on the page.  If I didn't keep an eye on
this, the header on the page would end up at the bottom of the
page.  This should be fixed.

The last problem I discovered, and which will make me continue to use
LaTeX in the future, is the fact that the pages on screen did not
reflect on the output on paper.  The fonts where shorter and narrower,
making centered lines on screen output to the left on paper.  Images
and text which looked good on screen looked completely misplaced on
paper.  This made KPresenter almost useless for produsing slides on
paper.

I hope these problems can be fixed, as I really liked the thought of a
KDE Office package. :-)

(In addition, there where a few cosmetic problems, but they did not
give me any problems.  Just things that would give KPresenter a better
look)