List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice issues [Re: Question about your KPresenter's review]
From:       Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy () thyrsus ! com>
Date:       2002-03-12 2:32:38

On Sunday 10 March 2002 06:32 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 10, 2002 at 06:00:16PM -0500, Catherine Olanich Raymond wrote:

> The packaging issues are those of the packagers; debian for example
> packages each and every application seperately.
> The technical issues is that (as pointed out) there are dependencies and
> thus kdelibs is needed before any other kde application can be installed.
> There is no such dependency between koffice and kdegraphics; but the whole
> of kde will detect extra installed parts for previews and filetypes. In
> short; the more you install the more is available to you. This becomes
> obvious when you see that KDE is not really application driven but document
> driven.
>
> Let me give you another small example; there is a simple address book in
> KDE, if you install another address book it can be configured to replace
> the original address book. So in kmail for example you all of a sudden see
> another address book. So if I download a new application kmail does not
> need any work; it automatically understands that there is another
> addressbook for it to use.

But it couldn't do that with, say, the address book from MS Office, right?
(that was one of the things we needed to deal with when I switched from MS to
Linux).

> This kind of detecting is used all over KDE and
> this will work best if the user can really choose very precise which
> applications he wants to install.
>
> All arguments about what should be combined and what should be seperated
> are in this way moved to the packagers; and SuSE/RedHat etc will be able to
> play with the options any way they want.
>
> Hope this makes it clear why the reactions to this question have been a bit
> wierd, they are obvious to the unix-die-hard ;)

Not really, but I can't say you all haven't tried. :-) I think I'll try to
stick to more concrete comments in future.

--
Cathy Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>

"The meeting of personalities is like the contact of chemical substances;
if there is any reaction, both are transformed."  Carl Jung