List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KOffice issues [Re: Question about your KPresenter's review]
From:       Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy () thyrsus ! com>
Date:       2002-03-08 5:44:09

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 07:31 am, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 07:29, Catherine Olanich Raymond wrote:
> > On Tuesday 05 March 2002 03:41 am, Chris Howells wrote:
> > > At Tuesday, 5 March 2002, Catherine Olanich Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.
> > >
> > > com>

> > > That's why something like KOrganiser isn't shipped with KOffice -
> > > - would it really be _that_ useful to embed some kind of calendar
> > > into a spreadsheet? The graphics stuff is no included for a similair
> > > reason.
> >
> > Uh, but in the posting you've taken this excerpt from, Vadim gives what
> > seems to me to be a very good reason for having KDEGraphics be part of
> > KOffice--it would allow Konqueror to generate PDF from HTML.
>
> KDEGraphics is free, and part of KDE, useful for all KDE users, KOffice is
> available for free too ... what's wrong with installing kde packages to get
> full functionality in KOffice?
>
> I'm sorry but it makes no sense to "make kdegraphics part of koffice" more
> than it already is (i.e. part of KDE).

I see this as another instance where the developers should consider putting
themselves in the shoes of non-technical users for at least a moment.

A non-technical user is going to want the maximum performance he/she can get
in a comprehensive package.

Konqueror can be significantly improved (i.e. enabled to generate PDFs) by
using it with KDEGraphics.  But the ordinary non-technical user won't know
that--and will likely assume that the KOffice suite can't generate PDFs.

The real issue here, David, is not an issue of technical capabilities so much
as it is one of user perception and knowledge.

--
Cathy Raymond <cathy@thyrsus.com>

"The meeting of personalities is like the contact of chemical substances;
if there is any reaction, both are transformed."  Carl Jung