List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord usability report, missing features
From:       Nicolas Goutte <nicog () snafu ! de>
Date:       2002-02-27 19:51:41

Now that I have more time, I am going to make a more precise answer.

On Monday 25 February 2002 21:38, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> Following different opinions/usability reports for KOffice, I decided to
> make one more test on my one. Here are results:
>
> Objective:
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> To produce product datasheet (1-page, simple layout, with one picture) in
> KWord, with later export ("printing") to PDF and HTML, for placement on
> web.

(...)

> Output:
> ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
> Resulting KWord file is attached to this mail.
>
> * pre-liminary preparation.
> As I couldn't import Word .doc file successfully into KWord (probably, due
> to usage of tables), I exported file from Word 2000 as "text-converted"
> (cp1251 or UTF8) and as HTML. Ok, HTML exported from Word is very ugly -
> but you can open it in Konqueror without any problems, and copy'n'paste
> text from Konq to KWord. That's what I did.

Ah, sorry, you meant that MS Word is ugly!

Have you tried to use RTF?

(...)

> h) HTML export
> When exported, content of the frame on right side is putted below the main
> text, "inline" (not into separate frame) That's probably related to g).
> When you specify exact 'absolute' or 'relative' positioning for the frame,
> you can just use that CSS value in exported HTML, plus add
> top/left/bottom/right values (for absolutely positioned frame) or left/top
> /width/height (for relatively positioned frame)

As I have written before, frames are not supported by the HTML export.
Therefore they get exported exactly where they are in a KWord file: after the
main text.

Unfortunately, it will not come fast, as KWord's export filter library must
be modified first.

(...)

> Hope all futures mentioned above will be available in upcoming KWord 1.2.
> Should I file separate wishlists for them on bugs.kde.org, or it's enough
> to post this mail on KOffice ML? Looking forward to hear your comments!..

I suppose that it would be better if you create new bug reports at KDE Bug,
especially David Faure likes it better.

For the HTML stuff itself, you do not need to open any bug report. The frame
export is already a wish and the rest will come when KWord will be able to do
it.

> Best regards,

Have a nice day/evening/night!