List:       koffice
Subject:    Enquiry on the Support Status of the ISO 10646 standard and HKSCS on
From:       Andrew TC Fung <atcfung () itsd ! gov ! hk>
Date:       2002-02-20 11:16:07

Dear Sir/Madam,

I refer to my mail enquiry that I forwarded below.  Grateful if you can let
us know about the support status of KOffice on ISO 10646 and HKSCS.

Thanks.
Andrew Fung, ITSD of HKSARG

____ Forwarded by Andrew TC FUNG/ITSD/HKSARG on 2002/02/20 07:12 PM _____

From: Andrew TC FUNG on 2002/02/05 07:45 PM
To: koffice@mail.kde.org
cc: Gary KW LAI/ITSD/HKSARG@ITSD, CS SO/ITSD/HKSARG@ITSD
Subject: Enquiry on the Support Status of the ISO 10646 standard and HKSCS
on KOffice

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am Andrew Fung of the Information Technology Services Department of the
Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).  My team
is responsible for the development and support of Chinese computing in the
Government.  I am writing to ask about the support status of the ISO 10646
standard and the Hong Kong Supplementary Character Set (HKSCS) on KOffice.

As stated in her Digital 21 IT Strategy, the HKSAR Government is promoting
the adoption of the ISO 10646 standard and the HKSCS as the common
interface for Chinese processing.  The ISO 10646 standard provides a
unified standard for the coding of characters in all major languages in the
world including traditional and simplified Chinese characters.  The HKSCS
contains Chinese characters that are specific to the Hong Kong environment
but are either not included in the Big-5 coding standard or the ISO 10646
standard.  There are two encoding schemes of HKSCS.  One encoding scheme is
for the Big-5 coding standard and the other is for the ISO 10646 standard.
Detail information of the HKSCS is available at our web site:
http://www.info.gov.hk/digital21/eng/hkscs/introduction.html.

According to our understanding, KOffice supports the Big-5 coding standard
and the GB coding standard.  We would like to know that whether it also
supports the following:

(i)   the ISO 10646 standard;
(ii)  the HKSCS encoded for the ISO 10646 standard; and
(iii) the HKSCS encoded for the Big-5 coding standard.

If KOffice does not support the above standards, is there any plan to
implement such support and what is the schedule of the plan?

Thank you very much.

Yours,
Andrew Fung
APII, ITSD