List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KPresenter - Powerpoint filter [Re: KOffice for KDE3]
From:       shaheed <srhaque () iee ! org>
Date:       2002-02-13 23:44:27

> > It seems like any presentation with a design template will crash (Maybe
> > because of LZW compressed container??). The filter extracts the text out
> > of all the other ppt files i used.
>
> How interesting. BTW: I did some looking into LZW and could not come to any
> real conclusion if we wold be legally safe to decode it. Did you learn
> anything on this topic?

And to answer my own question...

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/gif.html says:

"Decoding GIFs is a different issue. The Unisys and IBM patents are both
written in such a way that they do not apply to a program which can only
uncompress LZW format and cannot compress. Therefore we can and will include
support for displaying GIF files in GNU software. "

That seems pretty clear to me!