List:       koffice
Subject:    KPresenter - Powerpoint filter [Re: KOffice for KDE3]
From:       Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples () mtu-net ! ru>
Date:       2002-02-12 19:36:03

On Monday 11 February 2002 12:38, David Faure wrote:
|   On Monday 11 February 2002 16:32, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > But: what is the reason behind keeping release of first Kofice 1.2beta
|   > for such a long time (till April)?
|   > I understand that some features in current CVS may not work
|
|   Have you tried the current KWord / KPresenter / Kontour ?

I tried to use KPresenter before, and think it's great.
But the biggest problem with KPresenter is its PowerPoint import filter.
I would love to use it for my daily tasks, but for that I need to convert
around 140MB of PowerPoint presentations to Kpresenter's native format.

So far, import filter for PowerPoint was always crashing for me.
(and experience with importing MS-originated docs is much worser with
PowerPoint, comparing to Word 2000; word filter was always much more stable)

Does someone work on Powerpoint filter for KPresenter?
Having this filter working is critical for office migration to KDE/Linux.
Just as an idea of it importance: from 11 people we have in office, 9 use
PowerPoint.
I understand that resources are limited.
But, if it's not possible to write fully-featured PowerPoint filter in
nearest future - may be, it's possible to have filter which does text
extraction from PowerPoint presentations?
Shaheed, you have mentioned that all MS formats are rather similar
internally. Do you think that it's possible to extract text from .ppt?

--

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)