List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kword wish list
From:       Jacek Stolarczyk <jacek () mer ! chemia ! polsl ! gliwice ! pl>
Date:       2002-01-29 10:44:57

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
[...]
> >Would pt be better ?
>
> Sure. Basically it has to be a single unit all across. But I think there
> is one issue. (Pardon me on this but I am talking this from pure users
> perspective) As far as I understand 72 points constitue an inch. So
> ideally all font of same point size should look same in all screen
> resolutions. But actually that's not the case.

Well, IIRC, 72 points constitute a logical inch that may somewhat differ
from the physical inch. Say you have two screens with the same resolution
but different physical size (say 15'' and 17''). On the latter the font
would look larger, even though in both cases you have same logical units
(so e.g. the linebreaks should be in the same place). But that should only
be a matter of linear rescaling and seems unavoidable. Just don't align a
ruler to your screen ;-)

Regards,

Jacek Stolarczyk
--
jstolarz@kde.org
Coordinator of Polish translations of KDE