List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Tables in KWord
From:       "Andrey S. Cherepanov" <cas () sibene ! elektra ! ru>
Date:       2002-01-27 7:01:22

25 Jan 2002 18:18, David Faure wrote:
> > Why KWord doesn't implement simple tables (like MSWord)?
> > Frames isn't good decision for supporting simple tables.
> >
> > There are some reasons to do simple table (like early version of KWord):
> > 1) easy and correct import MSOffice and other wordprocessing documents;
> > 2) usable key movement throught table cells;
> > 3) easy and correct change cell width and height;
> > 4) easy change cell group (row, column) attributes.
>
> The table support in KOffice-1.1.1 allows 1) and 2) without problems.
> 3) and 4) need to be implemented, this has nothing to do with the decision
> of using frames for supporting tables.
I disagree with 1) - MSWord document with tables hasn't appropriate cell
height and part os cell text aren't shown. Cell borders are terrible too.
Sometimes KWord table structure are very different from original MSWord one
(small MSWord table stretch to full page width, new column are appended to
table, pictures aren't import at all).

Offtopic (but about MSWord import):
In MSWord document cyrillic fonts (such as Arial) are named as 'Arial Cyr'
and so on. I install TTF fonts and these font are named without suffix 'Cyr'
After import from this file I see document in wrong font (for example, text
in 'Times New Roman Cyr' become Arial. Can you do properties dialog for font
substitution setup?

--
Andrey S. Cherepanov
sibskull@mail.ru