List:       koffice
Subject:    Fwd: Projection support for Konqueror
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2002-01-18 22:36:26

For those not reading the kdevel list.
This is a nice feature :0

----------  Doorgestuurd bericht  ----------

Subject: Projection support for Konqueror
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:30:27 -0500
From: Andrew Kuchling <akuchlin@mems-exchange.org>
To: kde-devel@kde.org

I've grown fond of Opera's OperaShow feature
(http://www.opera.com/support/operashow/) for presentations.  Despite
the name, it's nothing proprietary to Opera, but just uses CSS.  When
Opera goes into full screen mode, it uses the '@media projection'
sections of the CSS stylesheet.  Konqueror doesn't seem to support
@media projection in full-screen mode, at least in the current CVS
HEAD.  (Am I right in saying that?)

Implementing it will require two things, one hard, one simple (I
think):

1) Add page-break support to khtml's render.  I don't know how to do
that yet, but will be exploring it.

2) is much easier.

khtml needs a method to either be told when it's in fullscreen mode,
or it needs a method to set the media type
(screen/presentation/whatever).  Since khtml's print() sets the media
type to 'print' internally, I assume fullscreen mode should do
something similar, meaning that the first solution should be used.

I'm not familiar enough with the KDE team's design style or with the
KDE architecture to figure out how to do this.  I think that a
.setFullscreen(bool) method should be added to
kparts/browserextension.h, and the khtml KPart would then check its
value, and set the media type to 'screen' or 'projection' accordingly.
Konqueror would then have to call this method when displaying HTML.
(I don't think the fullscreen argument to WindowArgs helps here,
because that seems to be only used at window creation time.)

Would that be the right way to go about this?

--amk                                                  (www.amk.ca)
I suppose you could say "the yoke's on him", if you were the sort of
person who said that sort of thing, which fortunately I'm not.
    -- The Doctor, in "The Creature From the Pit"