List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: free kivio stencils
From:       ThH <thh () freakmail ! de>
Date:       2001-12-12 21:06:25

On Tuesday 11 December 2001 19:45, Vadim Plessky wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2001 20:16, ThH wrote:
> |   Are there free kivio stencils in the good brave OpenSource world???
>
> After looking at 5th of 6th request about "Free Kivio Stencils" on KOffice
> list, I really start to wonder what are these "stencils" and why they are
> not free?
> I have to disclosure here that I never used Kivio or any other
> flowcharting program (like Visio).
> Is this [stencils] some kind of vector-based graphics?
> What URLs I should look at to understand it better (like Stencils.org,
> freestencils.org, etc.)?
> If stencils are just vector-based drawings I guess Kontour can be used to
> create them. Kontour supports SVG (more or less, its developers are busy on
> improoving it), besides there are some other *free* programs which can be
> used to create SVG (SodiPodi, http://sodipodi.sourceforge.net; Gill)
> And than I have to ask following question: if these stencils are SVG
> drawings, why its usage should be limited to Kivio (and why you can't, for
> example, to embed them in KWord or KSpread)?
>
> Thanks in advance for answering these questions.

stencils are kivio special discriptions for diagram objects like routers,
firewalls, switches, uml classes, uml use case, etc. You need to have some
for drawing a chart of this. theKompany are saling some for dollars :-(( but
there are no free one.

Install kivio and look at
$prefix/share/apps/kivio/stencils/Flowcharting/BasicFlowcharting/*.sml for
some examples.

ThH