List:       koffice
Subject:    Comments on Kword (part II)
From:       "=?iso-8859-1?q?Fr=E9d=E9ric_Wehowski?=" <frederic.wehowski () laposte ! net>
Date:       2001-12-09 11:38:46

Hi,

I have followed the discussion that has happened after my
first post. Here are my comments:

> > - Kword take a lot of time to open the document in kwd
format,
> > maybe over a minute and Kword is not very responsive to
work
> > on this document. But this can be done.
> You're talking about the loading of a .doc ? Err, do that
only once, then save as .kwd.
No, I am talking about the kwd. The " one minute " statement
was exagerated but time is very long when you are waiting. I
have made a measurement. So, when I open this kwd file, this
happens:
For 4 secondes, nothing is happens
For the next 3 seconds, a bar goes from 0% to 100%
For the next 2 seconds, nothing happens
For the next 12 seconds, the first page of my document is
visible but I can not do anything and the toolbar are not yet
loaded. So Kword take a total of 21 seconds to oppen this
file. It is looking very long. You must know that:
- I have a K6 550Mhz with 256Mb of Ram
- I am using Mandrake 8.1
- This document is over 150 pages long (but it is just text,
nothing is embeded)
- Word 2000 under Windows 98 opens the .doc equivalent
document in 2 seconds on the same machine

I have follow the long discussion about the fact that it is
not easy to find the way to insert a "jump to the next page".
It is looking like this function is called today "Hard Frame
Break ". So why not just calling it "Hard Frame/Page Break" ??

> > - When I copy/paste a part of this document in a new one
> > create a smaller document, the styles are lost. The text
is
> > good looking (Ex: bold like with the style) but the style
are
> > no more there.
> But if you copy just a part of a paragraph its expected
behavior. When I set a paragraph > to (for example) Head1 and
copy 1 character, pasting it elsewere will result in me
> pasting a character in the font/size of the Head1 style. If
it would set the style the whole > paragraph would change.
No, I am not just copying a paragraph but a few pages with a
lot of differents style. But I have today more information:
It happens only when the style have been modified or newly
created. To reproduce this, take a document (even short) that
use the default style "title 1", "title 2", "title 3",
and "normal" for the text. Then make a change in the "title 2"
style (exemple, change the police and the font size). Now,
copy a big part of this text in the clipboard, open a new
Kword and paste the clipboard. The text is good looking but
the "title 2" style has been moved to "normal" style. If all
the default style have been changed (with was my case), then
the style are all lost, which is a big pain on a 150 pages
document.

There is also 2 little things missing today in kword and that
exist in Word:
- The styles can appear in the left part of the document (this
is an option)
- It is possible to select a line/full paragraph by clicking
in the left marging of the document

Anyway, I have also tried Abiword and I have stopped quickly
for the following reasons:
- There is no style editor
- It crashes when trying to import my document from Word
(remember, it is just text, nothing exotic)
- There is no possibility to have a speadsheet or a vector
drawing easily embedded
- Kword is fully integrated in KDE, and therefore uses the
same widget/look

By the way, where is Krayon??

Fr=E9d=E9ric.

"Acc=E9dez au courrier =E9lectronique de La Poste : www.laposte.net ; 3615 LAPOSTENET \
(0,13 =80/mn) ; t=E9l : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34=80/mn)"