List:       koffice
Subject:    KWord & CVS question
From:       stephan beal <stephan.beal () einsurance ! de>
Date:       2001-12-03 11:15:44

KOffice team,

First of, many thanks for KWord. i only recently started using it, and i've
been very surprised at the coolness of some of the features (the custom style
definition is very cool).

Secondly, if this is the wrong place to post such a question, please direct
me to the correct list.

Okay: i've started porting some of my docs from LyX to KWord and i'm sticking
them in CVS. The problem i have is the CVS $Revision$ tag. i want that in my
docs, but can't do that with the compressed .kwd files. A simple solution
would be to keep my .kwd files in uncompressed form, but KWord (strangely
enough) cannot read them. So i have a makefile rule which unzips .kwd to
.xml, commits my XML, then recompresses the .xml back into .kwd. There are a
number of maintenance problems with this, however, not the least of which is
my ability to remember to only use the makefiles for doing CVS commits.

Has one of you gurus written (or know about) a CVS filter script so that this
can be done on the CVS server?

The make rules, for anyone who's interested:
kwdes=$(wildcard *.kwd)
xmles=$(patsubst %.kwd,%.xml,$(kwdes))
commit: $(xmles) ci-xmles
	for x in $(xmles); do \
		kwd=$${x%%.xml}.kwd; \
		gzip -c $$x > $$kwd; \
		echo created $$kwd from $$x.; \
	done
ci-%:
	@cvs -z3 ci $($*)
%.xml: %.kwd
	gzip -c -d $< > $*.xml
%.kwd:
then a 'make commit' will do:
a) unzip the .kwd to .xml.
b) commit the .xml file
c) zip the .xml back into .kwd

Speaking of: is there any way to automate the export of .kwd to other formats
(without having to use the mouse to do it from KWord?).

thanks in advance,

----- stephan
Generic Universal Computer Guy
stephan@einsurance.de - http://www.einsurance.de
Office: +49 (89)  552 92 862 Handy:  +49 (179) 211 97 67
"Attention is narrowed perception." -- Alan W. Watts