List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Maybe before 1.1.1... aargh Spellcheck
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-20 19:45:49

On Tuesday 20 November 2001 11:45, Warwick Chapman wrote:
> Howdy
>
> David found a cute little bug in the spellcheck which may or may
> not have already been identified.

Did I ? Or did you mean "I found" ? ;-)

> If the checker is running and the selection of the highligted word is
> changes between words on the check, all words checked there
> after, and replace are a few characters off - and the following sort of
> replacements occur: replacementsents sucessfullull etc etc.

Right.... I wanted the spellcheck and the replace dialog not to be modal, so
that it's possible to fix stuff by hand while having a "spellcheck" or a
"search and replace" dialog open.

With a modal dialog you need to abort it, fix things, launch it again... not handy.
(I'm talking about fixing something else that you happen to see while doing
the spellcheck, not fixing an actual mispelling, that can be done from the dialog).

But the spellchecker parses the whole text at once, so it remembers
it from before you modify it, hence the offset.

Sending the text paragraph by paragraph or even word by word would be quite
slow (lauching ispell everytime), or we would hit a kspell bug again (first word skipped
when reusing the same ispell process, bug still not fixed by the kspell maintainer).

My preferred solution would be
- to have that kspell bug fixed ;)
- to give the text to kspell paragraph by paragraph
- and to add a mechanism for notifying the spellchecker when the current paragraph
is being edited, so that we update the text known by kspell, to prevent the above problem.
Might be that we would start again from the beginning of the paragraph in such a case.
- to use that mechanism to notify the "search and replace" dialog too.

All of this is obviously too much for 1.1.1.
What do you think of the "making the dialog modal, i.e. prevent modifying the text
while doing a spellcheck" quickfix for 1.1.1, though ?
(Same for "search" and "search and replace")

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops