List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: KWord: Printing
From:       Mike Richardson <mike () quaking ! demon ! co ! uk>
Date:       2001-11-19 9:03:53

CC'ed to David and Jason as I have a suspicion that some list email may not
be getting though
------------

On Monday 19 November 2001 2:25 am, Jason Wood wrote:
> On Sunday 18 November 2001 11:59 pm, David Faure wrote:
> > Didn't you say the problem was PS file generation ? The best way might be
> > for someone who knows PS (i.e. not me) to look into the generated file.
> > Qt is the primary culprit for PS generation. Especially if you said that
> > the problem happens in other KDE/Qt apps. Then there's the EPS handler
> > but that's part of kdelibs so we're using the same.
>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if this sounds too sensible but... If we suspect there is a PS
> generation error, how about if (from using the same test document)
> Johnathon creates a PS file on his system (where we know it doesn't work
> correctly), David creates one on his (where the problem doesn't manifest),
> and then compare the generated PS files?

OK, here are are pair of PS files; one that generatea a duff preview, one that
generates a good preview.

To recap what i've said before. They were both generated on the same system
from the same kword file, except that the duff one was created when logged
directly on to the machine, and the good one when running X on a diskless
workstation (using LTSP).

Also, the good one looks good when opened with kghostscript on both systems,
and the duff one looks duff on both

They are different, but I don't know anything useful about postscript. Still,
my guess is still that there is confusion over the font geometry.

> If they are the same, it rules out a postscript generation problem. If they
> are not the same then the differences in the files may give a hint as to
> where the problem lies.
>
> Or am I being really naive about this?
>
> (Incidentally, I've sort of got cvs figured out now, so once I figure out
> how to compile KDE3 without messing up my KDE2 installation, I'll be
> joining the party and start fixing bugs)

Regards
Mike

--
mike@quaking.demon.co.uk
http://www.quaking.demon.co.uk

["print_test.good.ps" (application/postscript)]
["print_test.duff.ps" (application/postscript)]