List:       koffice
Subject:    Re: Kword print preview and printing
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-14 10:58:31

On Wednesday 14 November 2001 10:03, Mike Richardson wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 November 2001 8:15 am, Carl W. Vilbrandt wrote:
> > Hi!  KOffice,
> >
> > Read the FAQ, but I am far from a computer or linux whiz - so here is my
> > question, sorry : ( if I missed the relevant info in the FAQ - if so, just
> > point me in the right direction.
> >
> > I have installed Mandrake 8.1 on my Vaio laptop with KDE/KOffice.
> > Everything seems to be great, except that when I go to print a document
> > from Kword to my HP Deskjet 1220C (which Mandrake found and installed - no
> > prob), the text is squished together with no spaces in the print preview
> > and when actually printed.  BTW if I print a document from one of the text
> > editors, it looks fine.  If I print the Kword file to PS and look at it in
> > ghostview, I get the same squashed looking stuff?
> >
> > Thanks very much for any help ...
>
> At last! Someone else with the same problem! I mailed about this (again) a
> while back, but no-one ventured a reply.

The buglist has 10 similar reports.
See #34325 and #33440 in particular.

> I have discovered that while I get exactly this effect working locally on my
> machine, if i use the linux terminal server from another machine (ie., so I'm
> running from a diskless machine) then printing works fine.
>
> The effect depends only on the machine, not on the user (eg, using the
> terminal server as my wife its fine; using the local machine as my wife
> messes up the printing). However, printing from both konqueror and kspread
> works fine in both cases.
>
> I'm guessing that there must be a mismatch between kword's idea of the font
> geometries and (k)ghostscript's view, so i think the interesting questions are
>
> (a) how does konq get font geometries for printing
> (b) how does kspread get font geometries for printing
> (c) how does (k)ghostview get font geometries for printing
> (d) how does kword get font geometries

I'm afraid there is more to it than that. KWord (and now kpresenter in CVS)
use the QRichText engine, whereas the others don't. So the bug is obviously
somewhere in there - but as long as I can't reproduce it, I can't even
investigate it. And the bug is only triggered on some systems, that's the problem.

David, who really wishes writing a word processor wouldn't require digging
into detailed font stuff ;-)  (I know, this sounds stupid ;)

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops